Day 1: En Route to Europe
Switzerland’s Alpine Wonders tour members will have the option of traveling from their nearest airport to Geneva or joining the group at a designated departure point where they will meet the Tour Director.
Day 2: Geneva, Switzerland
Upon arrival you will transfer to the Hotel Edelweiss. You can relax for the afternoon or stroll the shores of Lake Geneva. A welcome reception and dinner will be provided this evening.
Meal(s): B & D
Day 3: Geneva
Following breakfast we will board the first of our many Swiss trains and travel to the beautiful lakeside town of Montreux, where we will board “The Chocolate Train”, traveling in Belle Epoque style in a Panoramic coach to the land of Chocolate. A stop in Gruyeres to visit a cheese dairy and then on to Broc for a tour and a tasting of famous Swiss Chocolate.
We will return in time for you to explore Geneva and its gastronomic delicacies. An evening stroll along the Lake is a perfect way to end the day.
Day 4: Geneva
Today we will set off for Lake Geneva and its many lakeside jewels. Lake Geneva is one of Europe’s largest lakes and we will board a beautiful steamer and hop on/hop off as you wish. The towns of Nyon, Lausanne, Montreux and Castle Chillion are some of the wonders you may wish to visit.
Travel at your own pace, enjoy a cup of coffee or lunch on the shores of this beautiful lake. Return to Geneva at your leisure and immerse yourself in the scenic Old Town. Many tasty restaurants await and the Old Town is magical after dark.
Day 5: Interlaken
We depart beautiful Geneva in first class accommodations aboard the Golden Pass Scenic Train. We will enjoy tall mountains, green valleys and endless vineyards on the way to our Alpine Wonder in the Berner Oberland region, Interlaken. Our home for next four nights will be the Hotel Krebs. Interlaken is a beautiful resort town situated between two emerald colored lakes and the stunning Swiss Alps. Wander the main shopping street, try your luck at the Casino, enjoy some Swiss fondue and prepare for our excursion to the Alpine Wonderland tomorrow.
Day 6: Berner Oberland
Trains, funiculars, gondolas, cable cars and cowbells ringing in the distance, endless hiking trails; these are the many wonders of the Berner Oberland we will enjoy for the next few days. Ride the optional train (additional charge) to the Top of Europe; the Jungfraujoch is Europe’s highest rail station. Travel through the Eiger and Monch mountains to reach the top, where the views are spectacular. An optional cable car ride (additional charge) to the top of the Schilthorn and its revolving restaurant at the summit where the views across the Lauterbrunnen Valley are stunning, is also available. The James Bond movie, On Her Majesty’s Secret Service and its famous ski chase, were filmed here. We will explore the non-motorized alpine villages of Wengen and Murren. Enjoy the shopping, eating and breathtaking scenery.
This evening we will be treated to an authentic Swiss style dinner.
Meal(s): B & D
Day 7: Berner Oberland
Today is a free day to explore the Berner Oberland and Interlaken. Explore Trummelbach Falls, a waterfall inside a mountain, travel to Grindelwald, hike the Alps or just enjoy Swiss hospitality and wander your choice of Alpine Mountain towns.
Day 8: Berner Oberland
Today enjoy the clear blue green waters of Lake Brienz as we board a stately cruiser and gaze at the snow covered Alps surrounding the lake. We will visit the open air museum of Ballenberg, displaying traditional building and architecture from all over Switzerland. Some may wish to visit Bern, the capital of the country and roam its wonderful streets. Dinner this evening will end our stay in the beautiful Alpine Wonder playground of the Berner Oberland
Meal(s): B & D
Day 9: Lucerne
We leave Interlaken for our next adventure in Lucerne. This two hour train ride takes you past crystal clear lakes, romantic waterfalls and over the magnificent Brunig mountain pass. Enjoy some of the most spectacular views the Alps have to offer as we arrive in Lucerne. Our home for the next three nights is the Hotel Des Alpes.
Enjoy the Old Town of Lucerne and its famous covered bridge and find a quaint restaurant for a romantic dinner.
Day 10: Lucerne
Today we enjoy a cruise on Lake Lucerne as we make our way to Alpnachstad where we will board the Pilatus cog rail, the world’s steepest, that winds through lush meadows carpeted with Alpine flowers, past sparkling mountain streams and fascinating rock faces. You may wish to have lunch at the top of Mt. Pilatus before riding the aerial cableway back to Lucerne, where you can enjoy the rest of the day and evening in this enchanting town.
Day 11: Zurich
Today we ride the one hour train to Zurich, the center for banking and finance in Switzerland. We will stroll the picturesque lanes of the Alstadt (Old Town). You can return to Lucerne at your leisure after enjoying the shores of Lake Zurich and the Limmat River. Tonight we will enjoy our farewell dinner as we say goodbye to Switzerland’s Alpine Wonders.
Meal(s): B & D
Day 12: Homeward Bound
Following breakfast at our hotel we will transfer by train to the Zurich Airport to board our flight home.
Tues., May 22 to Sat., June 2, 2018
Download a full color printable version of this itinerary.
- Interlaken / Berner
- Oberland / Lauterbrunnen Valley
Tour HighlightsNOTE: Tour members must be able to walk four or more city blocks with their luggage (we provide tips for light packing) and climb stairs to access trains.
- Switzerland with its majestic, snow-capped Alps, lush green mountain valleys, storybook towns and fine dining awaits you on this delightful springtime tour.
- We will enjoy stately Geneva, headquarters of Europe’s United Nations and the Red Cross. It is a hub for diplomacy and banking. Highly influenced by France, we will explore Lake Geneva and its lovely lake towns and will venture by train into the mountains surrounding the deep blue waters.
- We explore the Alpine playground of the Berner Oberland, high in the Alps, stationing ourselves in Interlaken, a beautiful city at the base of the Jungfrau, Monch and Eiger mountains.
- We will celebrate Lucerne’s preserved medieval architecture and the snow capped mountains surrounding Lake Lucerne.
- Zurich’s Old Town and the exquisite Bahnhofstrasse will be the icing on the cake of this journey to Switzerland’s Alpine Wonders.
- This tour will explore beautiful cities and the Alps, utilizing the wonderful Swiss rail system to effortlessly travel from one highlight to the next. The beauty of the views from the first class comforts on each train only enhances the experience.
- Tour members will have a pass for eight days of unlimited first class travel on most of the Swiss rail system. This pass is also good for admission to museums and is valid on city buses and trolleys. Each traveler will also receive a Berner Oberlin Regional Rail Pass for four days.
- Air transportation from Newark to Geneva and Zurich to Newark.
- Eight-day pass for travel on the Swiss Rail System for all the day train excursions, lake steamer cruise and other transportation as part of this itinerary.
- Three star hotel accom-modations for ten nights with private bath.
- 16 meals.
- Cruises on Lake Brienz, Lake Geneva and Lake Lucerne.
- Transportation from arrival flight to the hotel and from the hotel back to the Zurich Airport. Passengers must check their own baggage onto their return flight. Limit one bag per person.
- Services of a professional Tour Director.
$4,995 - 12 Days
* SAVE $1,200 IF NOT USING GROUP AIR ROUND-TRIP Newark - Geneva/Zurich - Newark
America by Rail will be happy to arrange your connecting flights to/from Newark - price not included
About The Train
Additional Tour Information
NOTE: Tour members must be able to walk four or more city blocks with their luggage (we provide tips for light packing) and climb stairs to access trains.
A VALID PASSPORT IS REQUIRED FOR THIS TOUR.
Discover “The Best Way to See America”. Train trips offer the finest views of exciting destinations throughout North America. Combine that with the fun you’ll experience on a group train trip vacation and you’ll understand why these tours are so popular!